After having tested everything I needed to test with the first prototype, https://alejandro-pina.com/2021/06/15/battlebots-prototyping/ , I designed a second one to further develop the design.
I also took it upon myself to create an animation for the MK.2 prototype design.
So far I have designed the first version of MK.2 and am in the process of building it. After having built it, I will test it, make some changes and to the design, test those changes, then I should have refined it enough to start on designing the 250lb version to be submitted to Battlebots.
I also finally decided to name the robot: “DOOM”
I learned many things from the designing, building, and testing of the first prototype: https://alejandro-pina.com/2021/06/15/battlebots-prototyping/. The first one was for functionality and proof of concept; this one is far more solidified than that. It actually has a full exterior and resembles a significant amount of what the 250lb version will be like. One important thing to note is that MK.2 is fully 3D printed and all the components are designed to be 3D printed. The 250lb design won’t be 3D printed at all but will still share many of the design aspects.
I built the robot around the weapon system. It is a hammer-saw like design with a vertically spinning weapon on the end of a fast moving arm. A 35kg torque servo motor on the end of a 1:3 gear ratio (for speed) controls the arm while a high power 4s motor mounted to the arm spins the weapon through a belt transmission. I’m not sure how well it’ll hold up but that’s why I test these things. My guess is that the weapon arm won’t be very stable at first but I do already have many ideas of how to improve the arm. Such as a mechanical oscillator for the arm (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtaI1IYi0os&ab_channel=AlejandroD.Pina).
The drive base is simple. Nothing to see here but a 4WD driven by two geared motors.
The armor design I came up with is different from what you’ll see from most if not all other combat robots. This design in particular will not be put into any kind of combat so the armor is mostly visual but it still follows the same concept of what I have in mind for the 250lb design. Each of the 19 plates are individually connected only to the base of the robot. In theory, this should redirect a significant portion of an impact to the base of the robot which will also be made the strongest part of the robot. It also looks cool. I have no idea how well this armor design compares to others at the moment but I will learn more in testing. The armor panels are also all angled to help deflect impacts.
Thanks for viewing this post!